About Our Fabrics and Patterns
Our goal in designing sewing patterns is to balance great style with simple design. Each bag has been developed to be useful, durable, and beautiful, without being overly fussy or difficult to make. Each bag design has been tested for functionality and strength. Here is what you can expect with all of our patterns:
- Simple materials: If using recommended fabrics, there is no need for additional interfacings or stabilizers
- Nothing too tricky: Beyond sewing through thick seams and mastering a tidy straight stitch, our bags do not require specialized equipment or advanced sewing skills.
- No raw edges: All pattern details are designed to have the raw edge of the fabric concealed.
- Additional resources: We have a wealth of tutorials, videos, and blog posts to help you with your bag.
- PDF Format: At present, all patterns are available as PDF downloads. Our patterns give the measurements for the pattern pieces, as well as very detailed instructions for assembling your bag. There are no actual pattern pieces to cut out.
One of the challenges that home bag makers face is finding high quality materials to make their bags. We've also found that while waxed canvas fabric is quite popular in finished goods, its availability to at-home crafters is still very limited. We are in love with the beauty and durability of waxed canvas, which is why we've made it the focus of our shop. Here is what you can expect from our products:
- Our waxed canvas fabric is 10.10 oz Army Duck Waxed Canvas. It is finished with a blend of wax and oil that make it water-resistant. As waxed canvas ages it attains a softer, almost suede-like look. We sell waxed canvas in a variety of beautiful colors as part of our complete bag kits, as well as in pre-cut quantities.
- We sell complete bag making supply kits for each of our bag designs. These kits include everything you need to make each of our patterns except for the needles and thread.
- All of our handbag hardware is solid metal. We test the durability of our fabrics, zippers, and hardware by using our bags in daily life.
- We pre-make our kits to ensure beautiful color combinations, which can be a challenge when buying fabrics on-line. We do realize that sewists like to have options, so if there is something specific you want, please contact us and we will see how we can help!